Friday, March 16, 2012

Dried Strawberries

Remember this pin?


Remember how you thought "oh those look so good! I want to try that!"
Remember how sometimes, on Pinterest, people will pin things that look great but don't have really great instructions?
Well, folks, this is one of these times. 
And I'm here to tell you, no, warn you, that this is one of those pins that you should not attempt. Wait, let me rephrase that: This is one of those things that you should not attempt when strawberries are upwards of $6/box. Just saying, it's not as easy as it would seem. 

I tried drying strawberries multiple times with (almost) the same results every time. Which, let me tell you, was rather disappointing.  

Ok, step one: Cut up strawberries. Sounds easy enough. Check!

 

Step two: sprinkle with salt and pepper. Hmm, interesting, but ok, i'll try it.
Step 3: bake in oven at about 200 degrees F for 3 hours. Easy enough.
Product: 

 

Wait, I thought mine were going to look exactly like the picture! They're all soggy still, and I can't even get them off the paper! Hmmm try again I guess. Maybe I'll try baking them longer this time. And no salt! I'll sprinkle them with sugar this time!
Product:

 

Ok, maybe this needs some more thought.
So I haven't given up completely; but I can't afford to try again while strawberries aren't in season. I'll let you know if I ever do get it to work.

No comments:

Post a Comment